Sunday, November 4, 2012

Thankful Thought #2

 
 
Thankful Thought #2
 

 
I'm thankful for all of my family, but this post is especially for my dad's side of the family.  These pictures are from a family reunion that was held in Iowa in June 2012.  It had been 20 years since our last family reunion with that side of the family, although we have certainly seen them here and there since then.  20 years ago, we called ourselves DOM (Descendants of Martina).  Martina was my great grandmother.  Then DOM name has continued over time...
 
 

The reunion was held in Ames, Iowa and was a great time for all of us.  It is my Italian side of the family, so there is always good food and the family is always so fun to be around.  Many old pictures were out as we all shared stories.  I realize now how important it is to know about family history and several of us were soaking up the stories from the older generations. 

First Cousins with their only Aunt and Uncle
Standing: Bill, Connie, Renny, Vickie, Carol, Larry
Sitting: Aunt Mary Lois, Uncle Fred, Retha, Bud and Rubie

Retha and Bud - such sweet people.  They always remind me of my Nona and Popsie.


My dad and his cousin Bill.  These two are just two days apart (and Charlie shares Bill's birthday).
Although they grew up states away from each other, I think they saw each other most summers and they always enjoy a visit together.


And here they are about 1 year old, I think.  My dad is the bigger one, with curly hair.  Who knew he was a big kid?!



And here's Charlie with Nona and Papa. 

One of my favorite things about the reunion was Charlie got to spend time with my cousin Katie's kids.  The boys surround him in age and they had a blast together as shown below...


 
 
To the thankful thought...last night we spent hours with my dad's side of the family at Connie and Renny's house, enjoying time with an out of town cousin, Roz and those of us who live in Illinois.  It was so nice to enjoy each other's company, good food and listening to stories of the past.  The kids got to play again and as they left each other, were asking for playdates.  

No comments: